skip to primary navigation skip to content

Cambridge Digital Library

Department A-Z

Browse our collections

  •  

Mycenae Site Photographs

 

Site photographs comprise the excavated areas of Mycenae that were not principally associated with funerary archaeology. Wace took the majority of the photographs himself in 1920-1923. For this period, the archive also holds small photographs that were annotated by C.A. Boëthius in pencil on the verso. They appear to be his personal snaps, an informal memento, never intended for official publication. However, a century later, they provide a valuable extra layer of information and an alternative viewpoint of archaeological features long since back-filled and disappeared from view.  

Wace and other members of the team continued to provide the photography in subsequent seasons. However, notably in 1952, the services of the Greek photographer Nikolaos Tombazis were employed (MCNE-3-2-11-23) and in 1955 the American photographer Robert McCabe visited the site and documented it through his lens (MCNE-3-1-07-8).

Photographs are grouped by site area, beginning with General Views of the entire citadel as seen from afar, followed by areas within the citadel itself, sequentially moving beyond the citadel walls to the Ivory Houses and beyond.

The first and final 13 albums of Site photographs have yet to be digitally photographed, on account of the University’s closure in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and consequent national shut down. These images will be added to the site as soon as it is feasible to do so.

Bibliographic references are supplied for the initial publication of a photograph.  Subsequent publications of a photograph are normally not given, unless it was a publication written or edited by A.J.B. Wace himself.