<p style='text-align: justify;'>Pencil drawing made by Miss Elizabeth Smith, of Brampton near Chesterfield, Derbyshire. A similar view by Elizabeth, drawn in 1845, shows the later addition of the Altazimuth Dome between the hot house and the Quadrant Room <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/3/13)</a>. Another sketch, made by Elizabeth's sister Caroline Smith, shows the same view in 1836 before the enclosure of the Magnetic Ground <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/4/1-2)</a>.</p><p style='text-align: justify;'> The Magnetic Ground was enclosed by George Airy in 1837 as part of his creation of a new Magnetic Observatory. Regular observations of magnetic variation (declination) had been taken during the time of John Pond but these observations ceased in 1824 when problems with the foundations of Pond's 'Magnetic House' led to its demolition. Recognising the importance of magnetic work, Airy persuaded the Admiralty to fund the establishment and staffing of a new Magnetic Observatory. He completed his Magnetic Observatory in May 1838, around the time that this drawing was made.</p><p style='text-align: justify;'> For views of the Magnetic Observatory, see <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/3/3)</a>, <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/3/9)</a>, <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/3/11)</a>, <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/5/2)</a> and <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/5/6)</a>.</p><p style='text-align: justify;'>For a brief history of the Magnetic Observatory see, <a target='_blank' class='externalLink' href='http://www.royalobservatorygreenwich.org/articles.php?article=926'>http://www.royalobservatorygreenwich.org/articles.php?article=926</a></p>
The images contained in the pdf download have the following copyright:
This will create a PDF with thumbnail images for all pages, and may take some time for large documents.
The images contained in this document have the following copyright:
This image has the following copyright:
Choose one of the available sizes to download:
This metadata has the following copyright:
Do you want to download metadata for this document?