<p style='text-align: justify;'>Pencil drawing made and presented by Miss Elizabeth Smith, of Brampton near Chesterfield, Derbyshire.</p><p style='text-align: justify;'> In this drawing of Flamsteed House from within the Front Court, the Octagon Room is shown (centre) with the North East Dome to the right. The Time Ball is depicted in a raised position, two minutes before its drop at one o'clock. The Time Ball was mounted in 1833 as a time signal for mariners within sight on the Thames. The ball was raised halfway five minutes before the hour and then raised the whole way two minutes before the hour. The time was recorded when the ball began descending. </p><p style='text-align: justify;'> A sketch of the Time Ball, fallen into the Front Court in December 1855, can be seen at <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/6/6/2)</a>. A similar view of Flamsteed House, drawn two years later, shows the porch and covered passage linking the house to the Observatory, which were added by Airy in 1839 and 1840 <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/3/12)</a>.</p>
The images contained in the pdf download have the following copyright:
This will create a PDF with thumbnail images for all pages, and may take some time for large documents.
The images contained in this document have the following copyright:
This image has the following copyright:
Choose one of the available sizes to download:
This metadata has the following copyright:
Do you want to download metadata for this document?