<p style='text-align: justify;'>Pencil drawing showing the Royal Observatory Greenwich as viewed from the south-east side from the top of the gravel-pit, before the enclosure of the Magnetic Ground. The sketch is by Caroline Smith, the sister of George Airy's wife, Richarda Smith. It was drawn circa 1836 during Airy's early occupancy. An accompanying note by George Airy, dated 1869, describes the buildings and their use in more detail and the subsequent changes made <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/4/3)</a>.</p><p style='text-align: justify;'> Two similar views of the Observatory, made by Caroline's sister, Elizabeth Smith, can be seen at <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/3/2)</a> and <a href='/view/'> (RGO 116/3/13)</a>. The former image, dated 1838, was drawn soon after the Magnetic Ground was enclosed. The latter image, dated 1845, shows the later addition of the Altazimuth Dome (built in 1844).</p>
The images contained in the pdf download have the following copyright:
This will create a PDF with thumbnail images for all pages, and may take some time for large documents.
The images contained in this document have the following copyright:
This image has the following copyright:
Choose one of the available sizes to download:
This metadata has the following copyright:
Do you want to download metadata for this document?