<p>Watercolour painting of Flamsteed House, Greenwich from the park. This painting by an unknown artist appears to be unfinished, as the middle window of the second floor is missing. </p> <p> Flamsteed House was built as the Royal Observatory by Sir Christopher Wren in 1675-1676. The large Octagon Room on the first floor originally served as the observing area, with the dwelling rooms of the Astronomer Royal on the ground and basement levels below. This image shows Flamsteed House in the 18th century. Deer have roamed free in Greenwich Park since the time of Henry VIII when they were introduced for hunting.</p> <p> The painting must date post-1771 (most likely 1773) as it shows the summerhouses with the extra story added, although they are far too short in height. Work began on enclosing the courtyard in 1791 which gives a latest date for the image.</p>
The images contained in the pdf download have the following copyright:
This will create a PDF with thumbnail images for all pages, and may take some time for large documents.
The images contained in this document have the following copyright:
This image has the following copyright:
Choose one of the available sizes to download:
This metadata has the following copyright:
Do you want to download metadata for this document?