<p style='text-align: justify;'><p>This drawing looks as if it was part of the post-1835 collection, and was not originally catalogued here by Benton. St Mary’s church is notable for its wall paintings and its round tower, one of only two in Cambs (the other is Snailwell), although they are common in East Anglia. The tower appears taller in Relhan’s drawing but this must be the artist’s mistake, as the windows, crenellation, string courses and quatrefoil decoration appear the same, and the roof level is retained. This tower is late C11-early C12 in date, much the oldest part of the church to survive. The nave and chancel were rebuilt and the W window inserted in early C14, and in C15 there was a new E window, N and S doorway and N porch. All of this appears similar to what is seen now, but neglect in C16, C17 and C18 meant that restoration work was needed in C19, undertaken by RR Rowe 1879. Today the windows look like originals, although their tracery was renewed by Rowe, as does the roof, which was repaired 1897. The N porch is also much the same, but the pathway to it is directly from the N. The domed memorial in the drawing remains but the flat tomb has gone. Other stones could be 3 that Relhan shows. </p><p>VCH 1978</p></p>
The images contained in the pdf download have the following copyright:
This will create a PDF with thumbnail images for all pages, and may take some time for large documents.
The images contained in this document have the following copyright:
This image has the following copyright:
Choose one of the available sizes to download:
This metadata has the following copyright:
Do you want to download metadata for this document?