<p style='text-align: justify;'><p>1837</p><p>Labelled ‘Red Inn Whittlesford Bridge’ and ‘Aug 14th 1837’. Added to list by Ethel Fegan 1935. The bridge here was on a major route of the Icknield Way, locally the Royston- Newmarket road, a natural stopping place for travellers from royalty to cattle drovers, and an obvious place to offer hospitality. This was the case from C13, when Duxford Chapel, adjacent to the future Red Lion and built as a hospital for the sick, also needed to cater for travellers, and a hamlet grew up around it. In C16 there was a prosperous hospitality trade at the new White Lion Inn, which became the Red Lion in C18. Drovers could rent pasture in neighbouring fields along the route from East Anglia, there was stabling for horses and 15 beds (1686) for visitors to Newmarket, alongside the farming community. Less desirable highwaymen on Newmarket Heath were also said to be accommodated. Its original medieval timber-framed W front is still discernible and there are carved medieval beams and a Jacobean table inside. The early C16 building has C17, C18 and C19 alterations and rebuilding. The front elevation, drawn by Relhan, has knapped flint walls with gault brick quoins and dressings. It is now a hotel..</p><p>National Heritage List for England; VCH 1978</p></p>
The images contained in the pdf download have the following copyright:
This will create a PDF with thumbnail images for all pages, and may take some time for large documents.
The images contained in this document have the following copyright:
This image has the following copyright:
Choose one of the available sizes to download:
This metadata has the following copyright:
Do you want to download metadata for this document?